3186 Wiley Street, Oldtown, Yellowknife
Opens at 7am
Prices range from $$ to $$$$$
Today I had the pleasure of having lunch at one of Yellowknife's more famous restaurants, Le Wildcat Cafe. My friend and I decided to go at 1pm in order to avoid a big noon lunch rush. We were pleased to see that while le Wildcat was nice and full, it was not overcrowded. Before entering the restaurant you are greeted with this sign that helps to explain the seating procedure of le Wildcat.
There are long benches and wooden tables on each side of the restaurant that will comfortably sit around six adults. In three of the corners of the room there are smaller tables that will sit two to four adults. This restaurant is separated into two rooms, one for the kitchen and the other is the main dining area. The walls are beautiful, rustic, stained wooden logs and boards. Olden day artifacts adorn the walls and corners. Be sure to look up to see an old saw strung across the rafters as well as a well used paddle.
Le Wildcat also has additional seating available on the patio adjacent to the restaurant. A sign advises patrons to be sure to go into the restaurant to let the server know that you are there. With temperatures hovering around eight degrees Celsius today, we decided to dine inside!
The ambiance of le Wildcat is fantastic, you truly feel as if you have been transported 60 years into the past. I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see a burly woodsman in a plaid jacket with an axe slung over his shoulder saunter in through the front door. Actually, in Yellowknife that probably wouldn't be too far fetched anyway.
The servers were highly competent, something I always appreciate when dining in our lovely metropolis. As for the lunch menu, the prices range from reasonable to quite pricey, depending on the items. The menu is quite a bit larger than what I had suspected, so the selection was quite plentiful.
My friend and I both ordered the arctic char burger which is served on a scrumptious and fresh kaiser bun. The bun is smeared with slightly overpowering garlic mayonnaise, lettuce and thin slices of red onion. As for the arctic char itself, it was sheer culinary perfection, lovely and soft, not at all overcooked or hard, allowing the obviously fresh flavor of the arctic char to dominate the burger. I wasn't so fond of their fried potato wedges, they were a very dark brown colour... chewy on the inside, overly crispy and over fried on the outside. I would have greatly enjoyed the option for either a fresh salad or a roasted potato in it's place.
At $18 a plate for each arctic char burger plus a soft drink each our bill totaled just over $40. A little steep for lunch in my opinion, however I will be back to try both their breakfast and dinner menus.
7 comments:
The only complaint I have about the Wildcat are the prices. But that's part of the nature of seasonal businesses.
Here's some fun facts about the Wildcat. If I get any wrong, someone please correct me.
1. Every year the City asks for proposals from interested parties in the community to run the Wildcat.
2. I know that there have been 3-4 different operators of the Wildcat in the last 10 years.
3. In two of those years, the business lost money due to undesirable employee behaviour. Not in every year, just in two that I know of.
4. Pierre Lepage has operated the Wildcat for the last 3 years. This being his 4th.
5. The menu at the Wildcat is pretty much the same as Le Frolic (only more $$$ at Wildcat).
6. Last year, Pierre "changed" the name of the Wildcat by adding the article "Le." He just wanted the name to reflect the chef (that being himself) in some way. Besides, all his other businesses have the article, "Le." Example: Le Stockpot, Le Frolic, L'heritage. So it just seemed fitting to add "Le" to the Wildcat. This year, the city told Pierre that he can't use "Le."
4. Eight years or so ago, the Museum of Civilization in Hull created a replica of the Wildcat as part of it's permanent exhibit. If you've ever been there, it's on the top floor of the museum after you've toured the changing exhibits. It was eerie to be in Hull and just walk into Yk. The replica is identical! On the tables are pictures and phones. The phones play stories and tell some history of the place and Yk.
Anyway, if your lunch only cost you $20-$25 each, that's cheaper then previous years. I'm glad to hear they are much more resonable.
And yes, generally speaking the service at the Wildcat has always been very good regardless of the operator.
Natalie, I really love reading and commenting on your post about restaurants in town. You rock!
As with a lot of restaurants here in town, I find this place hit-or-miss. I was just thinking today how it doesn't seem to be high on Chef Pierre's priorities. Shame really, given its historical significance.
I love their musk-ox poutine-- how unique is that? (Even though it's really just stew instead of gravy.) Their ice cream bar consistently sucks though.
Jason, thank you so much! I LOVE your feedback! Great information.
John, I was so tempted to try the musk-ox poutine. I stared at the menu forever pondering what it would be like. Is it just a musk-ox stew poured over fries and cheese curds?
Yes to the musk-ox.
And to Jason's "Le" comment: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also take over the cafe at the airport and not bother with the "le"?
I would like to try arctic char, musk ox, and caribou. The Wildcat sounds like a good restaurant. I would not mind spending the extra money to dine there.
Also, to build on Jason's comment, the replica in the museum of civilization is not exact, it is the mirror image (the little storage area to the right of the door in yellowknife, is to the right of the door in hull). When visiting the museum it took Kevin and I a good 5 minutes to figure out what it was that was different, but that is what it was... like an alternate, mirrored universe.... oooOOOOoooo
You've gotta check out Thornton's if you haven't already done so. Quite pricey but some of the best meals I've had since arriving in YK back in April '08. Quality service, quality wine, top notch food and great atmosphere. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. :)
Post a Comment